Thursday, June 26, 2014

Party Time: Minecraft Themed Birthday

Like many almost 8 year olds out there, my son was obsessed with the MineCraft video game. So when it came time to pick the theme for his birthday party, this was kind of a no-brainer. At the time however, I was not that familiar with the details of the game. I decided to educate myself, so I watched some online tutorials, asked him some questions, and soon I felt I was good to go. One word to mostly sum it up: square. Everything in the world of MineCraft is pixelated and therefore made of squares, so I had to think "inside" the box. 

Here is the tutorial I watched (I also included it in my Evite, in case others were unfamiliar): 

And now on to the party details of our "MineCraft Madness" party . . . 

DECOR:

On the front door, I hung a vintage looking MineCraft poster, purchased at Walmart. Since they were only $5, I got a different poster to hang up inside the house as well. 




I decided I wanted to make a big impact with a large creeper head. To create this, I taped salad size square paper plates (7 inch) in shades of green and black to the wall.  I covered the food table with a "grass" tablecloth.  I also picked up a few large square bowls for food and large square dinner plates for the buffet. All of these items were purchased at Party City.
http://www.partycity.com/product/kiwi+paper+square+dessert+plates+20ct.do?from=Search&navSet=square%20plates&bypass_redirect=1

















I drew creeper heads and TNT with a sharpie on heliums balloons. I also added little creeper heads to a paper lanterns garland from Party City.  http://www.partycity.com/product/kiwi+lantern+garland+12ft.do?from=Search&navSet=green%20lantern%20garland&bypass_redirect=1


This MineCraft banner was purchased on Etsy (instant download, then printed and cut out at home).


https://www.etsy.com/transaction/136811758

ACTIVITIES:



Since "crafting" is how you create things you need in MineCraft, I decided on a crafting area at the party. Kids were able to make a pickaxe with popsicle sticks and tin foil or create a "skin" with small squares of paper. I pre made the masks by cutting out eye holes and a mouth and attaching them to popsicles sticks. This saved a ton of time at the party!









FOOD:


I used food directly from the MineCraft game for our buffet (melon, carrots and cookies). We also served square pizza (I ordered from a pizza place that cuts their pizza into squares, so handy!). Also from the game, we had "sticks" (pretzels), "spider eyes" (grapes), "water" (blue jello) and "lava" (red jello). The "creeper juice" was Warheads sour apple squeezers (purchased at Walmart) with the label removed and a creeper label added.



The cupcakes were from Safeway. I simply ordered chocolate cupcakes and ask them to decorate them with green "grass" on top. I purchased the cupcake toppers from Etsy (download only, print and cut out at home, attached to toothpicks). https://www.etsy.com/transaction/136486065

For the cake plates, I created TNT labels and glued them to red square plates. 





This awesome party was actually very simple. The food was ridiculously easy, the decorations were simple to create and had a big impact, and were mostly "made" (printed) by me. It was easy on the budget, a good bang for your buck, if you will. If you know a MineCraft lover, I highly recommend throwing them a party like this one, they will LOVE it, trust me.









No comments: